Thursday, October 2, 2008

Why I really need the class Thursday!



Task number two...



After finding the Hunter home, I wanted to update my searches for any printed family histories related to the names in my line. I found 5 possibilities to pull off the shelves and explore to determine if there was a connection.

I quickly eliminated 3 of the books. The fourth I was sure I had previously looked at and had the same information in my own records.

The last was a history of the Gray family. It was clearly a match with the Grays in my line - through my Root family line. Jasper Edward Root had married Lillie Cora Gray. These were my great grandparents. Lillie had remarried later in life with Harry Bly and had done some good work on her family line. Some of her records were passed down to my father and then to me.

But as I turned the pages, scanning the contents and noting which sections of the book I wanted to make copies of, I realized I have a Gray family history at home. Much thinner. Different looking? Or was it just the format that was throwing me off? I don't know what I have. And I should because how will I ever move forward and make progress if I just keep finding what I already have and should know.

Well, I considered not copying the pages but I figured that $4.50 was not much to ensure that I take home what I found and if duplication occurs, I'll just count it as a back up copy and lesson learned. I hope.

One thing I discovered was the possibility that the Gray line is really a line with a different surname! The last Gray listed on the line was apparently orphaned and adopted by Gray and it isn't clear whether he was a relative with the same surname or not. More to learn about this!!

No comments: