Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Hunter Family Home


Task number one on Wednesday - Locate the Hunter residence

I realized looking at my list for the upcoming visit to the Salt Lake Cemetary is that this final resting place means there was also a residence before ending up there. I already knew the address for Emma Prosser Toone and have found the home and taken photographs on previous trips. But I had never thought to locate the Hunter home. So that was the goal. I didn't ask any questions (I have lost my voice and charades wasn't an appealing option). I just started searching for something that might lead me in the right direction. Maybe there was some family sketch or history for this family. No luck. Maybe I could find a directory or list of early residences. Well, that possibly exists but nothing I was searching could lead me to what I wanted. I just kept looking - ended up on Ancestry.com and this is where I found a record for 1880 that listed Elizabeth Hunter (widow of Adam Hunter) and her address as 703 East 1st South. I tried to look for this on Google map - found what I thought might be the address and changed to Street View but it didn't look like the houses remained in that location.



Today - I drove over, hopeful as I got closer and saw a number of homes that appeared to be from the same period. No such luck. This is what I found!


This is where 703 East 1st (100) South would be. No Hunter home standing.

No comments: