Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Suitcase Letters


US Mail
Originally uploaded by Steve 2.0
I have started ANOTHER wiki. I really intend to look more into other website creating tools but since I know wikis and can do what I need to with them, it is good for now.

This one is to document the progress on preserving and sharing a suitcase full of old letters and documents from the Toone, Mulholland and Hunter families. A big project but you never know what kinds of gems you may find. Lots of letters from missions from Leo, Avard and Jean, as well as letters from Hannah (my grandmother) after her marriage. But these goes further back than that generation and that is what I'm most excited about. I love how you can find surprises in the way people write and what they think is important to share.

The first letter I transcribed is from David Mulholland to his brother Tom. He signs off as "Dave". I NEVER thought of him as a 'Dave' before. He talks about the bees "singing around" and how the potatoes are "first class". And he gives his brother some advice "Keep all our business to ourselves as it does not do to open our mouths too wide".

Check it out and follow the progress on

http://thesuitcaseletters.wikispaces.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interested to see your picture on this site. The picture of George Rhodes and Archie Ruggles was especially interesting as Archie is my grandfather. My father was Burton Edward Ruggles.

Gail Grose(Ruggles)