Monday, September 29, 2008

Stumbling upon Croydon
























I was on my way to Park City and I started to realize the road looked and felt familiar - back in 1991 I had driven down to Croydon, Morgan county, Utah for a Toone reunion. One of the things I remember doing was going up to the cemetary and taking a couple of photos of family tombstones.


I knew I was in the right place because I saw the Devil's Slide and realized that Croydon was just around the corner.



Croydon was the final home for John Toone after coming to the valley and living first in Salt Lake and later for a time in Payson, Utah. Emma Prosser was his first wife and the line which I am descended through. John Toone was born in 1813 in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England and he and Emma were married in England before coming to the US. Their son (William Henry Toone) was born in England as well and didn't meet his wife, Hannah Webb, until he left England. She came to America on her own in 1863 - crossing the Atlantic on a ship called "Amazon" that Charles Dickens toured and reported on before it left London.


It was in 1876 that John Toone settled in Croydon with his third wife, Jemima. Emma chose to remain behind in Salt Lake City. Emma's son, William Henry and his wife Hannah also joined John and Jemima in Croydon, as I'm sure other children did as well.

I'm writing this in Park City, Utah - and all my records on this family are home in Canada. So I hope my recollections and notes from other sources on the web are not adding any erroneous details to the stories.



Here are my new images of the tombstones. I took a lot more which I will add to my Flickr stream but the ones from my direct line are these.







Father: John Toone (b. 1813; d. 1893)






Son: William Henry Toone (b. 1842; d. 1923)



spouse: Hannah Webb (b. 1846; d. 1919)








Now, I am on a quest to find and take a photo of Emma Prosser's grave.








2 comments:

Julia Meredith said...

Emma Prosser Toone is buried in the Salt Lake City Cemetery.

Utah Burials Results
Burial Information: TOONE, EMMA P.

Birth: 4/26/1819
Death: 4/7/1889
Burial: 4/7/1889
Place of Birth: ENGLAND
Place of Death: SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH
Cause of Death:
Grave Location: Salt Lake City Cemetery , D_12_3N2R_2W

I have a photo of her headstone if you need it.

Christine Condie Bowen said...

Thanks for your beautiful pictures. William Henry Toone is my great grandfather. Croyden is a beautiful area to visit.