Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Pioneer Heritage Revisited



It is coming up on the time of year when I figuratively dust off my pioneer website to share in honour of the ancestors in the family that crossed the plains to settle in the Utah Valley.  



I created a site with as much information as I could find back in 2010.  It has had some edits and additions over time but as I looked at the calendar and visited the site, I realized it is part of the soon to be defunct wikispaces. This will be the last year to view the site I had created here.

 https://ourpioneerheritage.wikispaces.com/home

So that means it is time for an upgrade - to something more stable. There isn't much that can be depended upon in terms of technology - I've had my share of beloved sites and google services come to an end. But I don't want all the work to be lost. 

You will find the answers to questions like this: 

Do you know which ancestor followed along on their own at the age of 17 even after previous family members had died trying to make the same journey? This ancestor also crossed the Atlantic on the ship that Charles Dickens visited before it left port.

Do you know which ancestor brought a cello across the plains and was a successful musician in the Valley?

Which of our ancestors had to break up their journeys to earn money in St. Louis?

Which ancestor became very ill on the journey and promised to work to build the temple if the Lord preserved his life?


There is lots to learn and explore on this site!  So I have opened the site for one month and will be exporting what I can.  I'm happy to do  but if there is anyone keen to get involved, they would be welcome to help or take it on!  This was a Personal Progress project I did when I was a leader in the Young Women's organization of my church. I loved learning about the families and crossing the timelines as I prepared all the charts and information.

For anyone in my immediate Puzey family, there is a Pioneer scavenger hunt that you could do with your children for a Family Home Evening.  If you only share one side of the family line (Toone or Puzey only), you can always adapt the activity.  

How will you honour your ancestors this historic weekend?  

1 comment:

sdr said...

Sorry all the links are dead - the site was discontinued and I have the information but haven't built a replacement site yet. Hopefully this can be a project soon.