Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Family History Goals: a reboot


I'm back for a weekly shift at the Family History Centre. This is something I enjoy doing but it was something of a "there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven" situation. I took a break while I was working with the young women in my church and thoroughly enjoyed that opportunity but I am no longer doing that and so I can return to my Tuesday nights virtually digging up relatives. The time to once again make doing this work a part of my week has come again.

I have struggled to have clear research goals or a consistent plan for addressing the gaps in my family tree.  I also have been remiss in sharing what I have both in terms of records, photos and research alongside updates on my activity. There is so much to do but for so long I only worked on the low hanging fruit. A lot of the easiest tasks are done. Or so it may seem, but I know there is still much to do to link sources, add images and stories and make connections. It is much harder to find new people to add to the families but there are many opportunities to do that as well. I need a plan!

It helps to know that there are others who don't have the time but who enjoy seeing the pictures or learning about the stories when I get to post. I appreciate those comments and the extensions people add to the conversation.

So here we are again. I have a number of posts in various stages of development in my draft folder. There are posts about Salt Lake City Then and Now, the Griswolds, The Story of Us published, Phrenology Readings and David Mulholland, and posts about new tools and training for doing family history. But all of these need more details or better pictures or a lot of research to complete the story. So it may be a while before you get to learn about Dousabelle or how David Mulholland was told his many fears were groundless.

So I will try to post weekly. Try to do some research regularly. And then to share with others what I am learning.

If you want to join the party, come visit the Family History Centre on Tuesday nights. Or post a comment, ask a question, set up a tree on FamilySearch. What would you like me to share? What is a question you have wondered about? Do you have a shoebox squirrelled away with some treasures?  I enjoy doing this no matter who is paying attention but how much more fun it is when someone else is interested in it as well.


No comments: