Monday, March 25, 2013

Roots Tech 2013




Saturday I attended a Family History Fair associated with RootsTech 2013.  They piloted sharing the conference online this year and it was fantastic. So much to learn and be inspired by.  I went out to the Cochrane church building to attend sessions there. A full house turned out to learn about researching our ancestors from 9:00 am - 4:30 pm. Overwhelming in the amount of information shared and on the website you can download all the presentation notes in a zipped file here . And not only the 13 sessions available online but over 100 handouts from presentations not shared remotely. 

Lots of highlights.  I loved the review of technology and tools shared by Valerie Elkin. She took a while to get started - too much of a set up but when she got into the meat of the presentation, we were all madly taking notes (I didn't know I could get the syllabus of the presentations until after this first session of my day).  

Another highlight was listening to the a storytelling master. Kim Weinkamp has had her stories featured on NPR and Sirius Radio and she blends humour into her touching stories of life and family. 

James Tanner inspired me to use maps to get a more complete picture of my ancestors. His tips included using Google StreetView which is something I've begun to use as I put the pieces of their lives together. It gave me a great look at East Tisted, where the Puzey family home still stands, and allowed me to virtually drive the country roads in Ireland where the Muirheads spent their lives. 

I will try to share more stories and information as I get more organized and have my weekly research date at the Family History Centre. I have so much collected over the years but it needs to be shared. Asking for stories or about people will help! Use the comments and I can share what I have. My aunt asked about the Puzey line and that is when I realized how little I actually had. And I have found so much since I began to explore a bit more on that side of the family. (Go back in this blog to read some of the previous posts of what I have learned.)  And there is so much more to do. The more I learn, the more I realize that!

Next post:  What I learned about Jean Hunter Mulholland.
Jean Patterson Hunter

No comments: