Sunday, February 8, 2009

My Swedish Family















Swen Neilson (left) (1831 - 1915) was born in Boglarehult, Orkened, Kristiansted, Sweden. His wife, Karna Pehrsson (right) (1836 - 1888) was born in Saxtorp, Malmo, Sweden. They traveled to Utah and settled in Spring City, San Pete, Utah. Their daughter Emily Neilson is my Great Grandmother. She married Frederick Puzey and they immigrated to Canada and farmed in Champion, Alberta on the farm I spent my childhood summers and Christmases visiting.
I had only seen photos of Frederick and Emily but I had no idea what Swen and Karna looked like. I was always fascinated with Karna's name - like Karen with a twist. I was working on my family research on Ancestry.com and found a tree with attached photos for these relatives in the Hogan Family Tree. The bonus of working on this site as well as FamilySearch is that the next time I go online, more names are added to the family tree.

I had a successful session- finding records, and adding names and photos. I'm ready now to print off an index and start setting up the filing system for my documents and materials for each family. Then I may have a better idea of what I actually have lurking in corners of filing drawers and boxes and binders I drag out at reunion times.

No comments: